Friday, December 21, 2007

Applying the First Prayer

In the last post, I said that Christians are commanded by 2 Thessalonians to thank God for their brothers' sanctification.  So on Wednesday, I attempted to do this for 15 minutes (though I think I'm going to aim for 5 minutes a day most of the time).  I have to be honest--it was the most humbling prayer time I have ever had.  Thirty seconds into my prayers, I realized that I couldn't see God working in my brothers' lives.  Not that He's not changing their hearts, but I have pridefully focused on myself.  In doing so, I have deprived myself of the joy of rejoicing with my brothers and sisters.

So, I have decided to make two adjustments to how I spend time with my friends.  First, I will focus on them.  This seems obvious, but I've found that this is harder than it sounds.  Second, I am going to flat-out ask my friends this question: "What has God been doing in your life?"

1 comment:

Ben said...

dude, same w/ me, I have been noticing in my prayer life it's all about me, and what my needs r...so I'm trying to pray for other people...this is y we need to do the prayer meeting sometime soon......


so, yeah? downtown disney? perdy fun stuff.... cya 2night...