Friday, February 20, 2009

Forget Hollywood, Read the Gospels

So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.--John 8:59 (English Standard Version)

Maybe this thought was not particularly deep, but as I meditated on this section, this was what jumped out at me.

I saw the movie Taken recently and loved it. It's tense, suspenseful, and action-packed. However, the gospels present a story which might actually be more interesting.

Look at this incident. Jesus was preaching in the temple. We can sort of relate to this: pastor in a crowded church or, maybe if the temple was as commercial as it sounds, a street preacher shouting out calls to repentance in a busy subway station.

So picture it. The Pharisees are shouting at Jesus, and he's shouting back. "Now we know that you have a demon!" (John 8:48). "You are of your father the devil!" (v. 44). Then the kicker: Jesus says, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am." (v. 58). Then what happens? The Pharisees (and remember these guys are seminarians, not thugs) start getting ready to kill Jesus.

John only devotes one verse to Jesus' escape, but I have to imagine it was a complicated affair. Perhaps Jesus dove to the dusty temple floor and hid amongst the crowds of worshippers. Maybe he fought off an attacker with a well-aimed kick of his sandal. Whatever happened, I'm sure it was as exciting as an action movie.

1 comment:

Ben said...

I bet it had to be way better than a movie! It's kind of God we're talking about.
Great post! Recently I have been thinking about what movies I watch and how I could spend the time praying for something. idk stuff to think about.